The APSA Democracy 2020 Project is a platform for election events, scholarship, teaching resources, and engagement opportunities.
Political science advances our understanding of issues at the core of the upcoming elections, including democratic institutions and norms, voting behavior, public opinion, civic engagement, and political campaigns. Political scientists also play a key role in teaching undergraduate students about these issues and helping them to become more civically engaged and efficacious members of their communities.
APSA’s Democracy 2020 Project brings together the broad spectrum of APSA’s related work and highlights the work political scientists are doing around elections, democratic institutions, and campaigns. Through Democracy 2020, you can:
- Discover a range of events led by experts in political science and related fields
- Explore political science research on issues around elections and democratic governance, including ungated articles from APSA journals
- Find materials for teaching students about issues around the 2020 election and democratic governance, including simulations, discussion questions, and blog posts from faculty offering advice and reflections on teaching the election – at APSA Educate
- Get involved through initiatives like RAISE the Vote and the Election Reflections Series.
- Follow the work of the APSA Election Assistance Task Force, which will leverage the expertise and experience of political scientists to support free, fair, and open elections in the United States on November 3, 2020 and thereafter
In a recent letter, APSA’s past presidents noted “the three great crises of 2020—the viral pandemic, ensuring unemployment and economic distress, and the movements calling for social and racial justice—make the conduct of the 2020 election especially critical.” This platform is intended to illustrate and support the contributions of political science to support free and fair elections. If you are interested in contributing a resource or highlighting existing programming or research, please email email@example.com.