You Have a Job Offer: Get the Most Out of It
Amy L. Atchison
Committee on the Status of Women in the Profession
2:00 pm – 6:00 pm
Although many graduate programs talk to their students about what to expect in compensation packages, there is typically little preparation for negotiating the offer. In addition, female graduate students also need to be prepared for the sometimes cool climate for women in academia.
The Committee on the Status of Women in the Profession (CSWP) has three goals for this workshop:
- Train the target audience to negotiate their compensation packages
- Work with the target audience to help prepare them for the challenges women & scholars of color face in academia
- Emphasize the importance of career-long networking and provide an opportunity to network
We propose a three hour workshop, followed by a one hour networking event.
- Negotiate your compensation package. This may include:
- Salary bResearch funding
- Equipment/software funding
- Start-up funds
- Conference funding
- The climate for women in academia
- Gender bias in student evaluations
- Gender differentials in tenure & promotion
- Mothers in academia
- The importance of networking
- Networking event
**All Short Courses will take place on Wednesday, August 31 at the APSA 2016 Annual Meeting in Philadelphia, PA.